- Hopscotch. Picador/Pan MacMillan, 2015.
- Provenance. Vintage/Random House, 2007.
- Certifiable Truths- stories of love and madness. Allen & Unwin, 1998.
- Bedlam – anthology of sleepless nights. Allen & Unwin, 1996.
- Night by Night. McPhee Gribble/Penguin, 1994.
A selection of short creative works
- Dear Dr Chekhov. Radio Play, 53 mins. Australian Broadcasting Commission, Creative Audio Unit. Produced and Directed by Jane Ulman. Scheduled for broadcast, 2015.
- Mermaid of Cockatoo. Radio Play, 26 mins. Australian Broadcasting Commission. Produced and Directed by Jane Ulman. Broadcast on Airplay, February 2007 & 2009.
- Eat and Be Eaten. Griffith Review, online Issue No. 42, November 2013. https://griffithreview.com/articles/eat-and-be-eaten/
- Overboard. Wet Ink 24, September 2011, 39-42.
and book chapters/essays
- Obsédées par l’argent: reconnaissance, récit et marternité [A Whore for the Money: Recognition, Work and Mothering]. Eds. L. Machet, S. Ravez, P. Sardin, Les Mères et l’Atorité [Mothers and Authority]. Pessac: Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, 2013, 275-287.
- Being Impossible, Narratives of Mothering. Eds. E. Lamothe, P. Sardin, J. Sauvage, Of Mothers and Death: from Procreation to Creation. Pessac: Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, 2008, 57-72.
and journal articles/essays
- Reconceptualising Maternal Work: Dejours, Ruddick and Lionel Shriver’s ‘We Need to Talk about Kevin’. Women’s Studies International Forum, 38, 2013, 11-20.
- Practicing Interdisciplinarity. TEXT: Special Issue 14 Beyond Practice-led Research. October 2012 (n.p.,11pp). http://www.textjournal.com.au/
- Churned and Spurned in the Flexible World of Work. Cultural Studies Review, 16 (2) 2010, 75-101.
- Up the Highway to Campus Optus. TEXT, 13 (1). Special Issue: The Art of the Real. April 2009. (n.p. 16pp) http://www.textjournal.com.au/speciss/issue5/content.htm
conference and festival presentations
- Sydney Writers’ Festival, Brisbane Writers Festival, Byron Bay Writers Festival various years.
- Writing Corporate Culture – the challenge to ethical narrative: Ethical Imaginations: Writing Worlds, Australian Association of Writing Programmes Conference, Byron Bay, 2011.
- A Whore for the Money: Mothers and Authority, the Authority of Mothers Conference, University of Bordeaux 3, 2009. Keynote Presentation.
- Being Impossible, Narratives of Mothering: Of Mothers and Death: from Procreation to Creation Conference, Universitaires de Bordeaux, 2005.
- The Maternal Heroine – reading texts: Australian Association of Writing Programmes Annual Conference, 2004, Flinders University.
- The Maternal Heroine – feminist perspectives: New Urgencies in Australian Studies: A Symposium, The Mint, Sydney, 2004.
- Make Believe History: HDR paper presented at the Making History Conference, Sydney 1997.
- Insomnia in the City: HDR paper presented at the Australian Women’s Studies Conference, Deakin University, 1994.
- Contributor to Arts and Culture at The Conversation http://theconversation.com/profiles/jane-messer-107007/articles
- Invited forum participant: Australian Book Authors in the Contemporary Publishing Environment, Australian Society of Authors with Department of Economics, Macquarie University, 2014.
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Projects Assessor, 2005 – 2008 and ERA Peer Reviewer, 2010.
- Australian Society of Authors: Board Director, 2002-2006.
- Judge: CSIRO Writing Competition, 2006.
- Judge: Australian Vogel Literary Award, 1995.